June 22, 2017, 08:26:02 pm

Author Topic: Rising Thunder, brought to you by the Cannon brothers  (Read 2627 times)

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
  • Rated: +1467
Rising Thunder, brought to you by the Cannon brothers
« on: July 31, 2015, 11:35:02 am »
Anybody try this out? The cannon brothers (Guys behind evo) are devs, having created GGPO technology along with a single game in their past (Stonehearth). So now they're trying their hand at a fighting game.

The game is... interesting. Its like, babbys first fighting game. Well, maybe second, with Divekick being first.

You have 3 attack buttons (L, M, H), and then 3 special move buttons. Thats right, buttons. No motions, charging, anything. Just 3 buttons, each launches a special move. And then that special move goes on cooldown for a bit. Supers are done with 1 button as well, as are throws.

The fighters are giant robots, and one of the more interesting things is the ability to swap out your special moves. Right now each character just has 1 swappable move, but it lets your customize the characters in interesting ways. I was playing a grappler bot, and I had 2 choices for one slot: a magnetic pull that sucked people in, or a shoulder charge that closed distance.

Havent played much of it, but it is still a really early alpha. I feel like the control scheme might hold the game back, but we'll see.

You can sign up for the alpha at the website

http://www.risingthunder.com/
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs
Kaz is a better mafia player than I

jasonC

• Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Rated: +720
Re: Rising Thunder, brought to you by the Cannon brothers
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 05:51:12 pm »
Signed up. Hopefully I get a code soon. A buddy got two extra codes and but other friends snatched them up already.
  • Like x 1    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
  • Rated: +1387
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 02:15:30 am »
Someone in the Korea group gave me a code. Once I get my laptop I'll be on this.

איך בין ראָן בורגונדי?

• Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs
"I love you, you love me. Barney raped me by the sea." --Synonym
"Why do I feel like I'm being fooled by you both?  I can't find the penis.  I need to find the penis." --Augustus
"Nobody can read baby." --Pimp Willy
"Get your goddamn Battle Arena Toshinden shit out of my Tekken." --Souther
"That's when I decided to give up on my dream to become an X-Man and begin pursuing girls." --tortugagrande, champion of all our hearts.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 09:41:03 am »

jasonC

• Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 05:49:16 pm »
I downloaded it, and then it crashed lol. Maybe because of Norton Antivirus?

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 06:34:51 pm »
I've noticed a lot of people with that issue on the forum, that's an alpha for you

jasonC

• Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 07:19:59 pm »
I got it to work. Played some of Edge. Lost 3 ranked matches lol. I kinda don't like using the keyboard, but maybe I can find a way to get a TE to work with it. I am so not used to cooldowns...I like spamming shit lol.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 07:49:59 pm »
My 360 te works but I heard PS based ones don't.

jasonC

• Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 04:27:07 am »
I had fought the grappler bot in a ranked matched. He had this bnb of a couple of lights into a kick which did wall bounce into a ermac type magnetic ground pound. Other than that, he would use the counter(?, he glowed blue and could absorb a hit) to bait me into coming at him.

I do like how the ranked matches are 2 out of 3. I suppose there's no "friends list" yet.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:27:29 am by jasonC »

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 08:57:33 am »
Yeah, you only have training and ranked match, no friends list or friends versus currently

Also, I play Talos exclusively, I don't think you can combo into that kick (outside of a jump in). You can do jabs into shoulder charge, and off the kick you can get some nice combos.

Also, those aren't counters, he just has armor. His F+Heavy has armor on it, and he can charge his 2 throws by holding them to suck you in and glow blue, which gives them some armor too.

I really like Talos, but I should learn to play a few other characters too

jasonC

• Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 09:05:35 am »
i'm almost sure he comboed into that kick...unless I wasn't blocking...Can he cancel the lights into a dash and then cancel into the kick or something?

So his two throws...is one of them an air throw? I ask because I found a counter to what he was doing and it pissed him off.  Everytime he'd charge it and glow blue, I ran and did the shoryuken move (which got absorbed), he'd whiff his throw, I'd land and full combo him. I'm wondering if he could have done something else to bait that though.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 09:53:20 am »
Yeah, if you are using kinetic advance, you can cancel moves into a dash, but you wouldnt really want to do it on jabs. And it wouldnt be fast enough to cancel into the heavy kick. You either werent blocking or you were mashing and the armor beat you out : P

And yes, one is an air throw, so in that case if he was charging the other throw and you did that, you'd have been scooped out of the air. Next time just throw him if possible, armor doesnt stop throws, but then you have to get close enough to do it lol

RadicalFuzz

• Piece of cake
  • Mafia Endgame
  • White Toast
  • Rated: +368
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 10:27:30 am »
I'm having a lot more fun with this game than I expected, honestly. Talos & Dauntless are fun.

Talos can combo into his wallbounce kick. Close H (monkey clap) can cancel into any normal and that will combo, he can Kinetic Advance dash out of his SPD (and possibly his forward throw as well) and combo with the wallbounce kick. I really like his resets. Between the amount of time they take and Kinetic Advance reducing your cooldowns you can threaten SPD as they air reset.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 12:45:27 pm »
Yeah I know you can throw and then cancel into kick, I didnt know you could do HP into the wall bounce kick, I always do the back hp double clap into shoulder charge, I'll have to try that

RadicalFuzz

• Piece of cake
  • Mafia Endgame
  • White Toast
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 06:03:01 pm »
Talos has a ton of combo potential for a grappler, my initial impressions are he's very good once he gets in and he has at least two ways to make you stop poking him at mid range. My brain still hasn't fully comprehended the uses of Kinetic Advance yet, but most of the rest of the cast seems less fun.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 07:16:03 pm »
Its a psuedo FADC to make unsafe things safe, or a way to to create mixups, to just extend a combo for more damage. I actually like defense on talos, people with crazy long strings get shut down

RadicalFuzz

• Piece of cake
  • Mafia Endgame
  • White Toast
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 08:09:18 pm »
I mean I know what it's used for and what it does, but the uses of it on every move haven't clicked in my brain yet. I just need to play more of it. I prefer Advance on Talos for silly aerial resets.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 07:10:02 pm »
I really hate how throw is the button on the far right, too hard to hit

RadicalFuzz

• Piece of cake
  • Mafia Endgame
  • White Toast
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 09:24:30 pm »
Do they have a button re-map feature yet?

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 09:55:24 pm »
I think so? Dunno.

What they need are stuff like, light + med = throw, so I dont have to move my hand so far to throw : (

✰Alpha✰

• Commando
  • Game Bot
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Child of Despair
  • Rated: +1879
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 01:22:12 am »
I think so? Dunno.

What they need are stuff like, light + med = throw, so I dont have to move my hand so far to throw : (

WOAH THERE, BUDDY. DON'T WANT ANY OF YOUR COMPLICATED INPUTS IN THIS GAME.
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL x 1    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)
Lynch: RadicalFuzz
Quote from: tortugagrande
That bio is the douchiest thing I have read all year, and I am an editor for yeswearedouchebags.com.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 09:58:11 am »
Ironically, its harder to throw using the far right button. My hand rests on the left 3 for like 10 years, Im not changing that! lol

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 07:04:39 pm »
Been learning Chel, a big difference from Talos but fun for sure

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 10:04:05 pm »
Talos has a new option for his grab, instead of being chargable it comes out instantly and has armor. I like it a lot, actually. Feels better. If you fully charge the first option now, you can combo off the bounce, but Ive never seen Talos actually charge his grabs to use it

DrWilgy

• Mad Scientist (Doctor)
  • White Toast
  • Salt Inc. (Ft. Phorcys)
  • Rated: +217
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:34 pm »
Game is fantastic and I love it!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:51:25 pm by DrWilgy »
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL x 1    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)
God damn wiggles, that's one of the best deaths I've had.

RadicalFuzz

• Piece of cake
  • Mafia Endgame
  • White Toast
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 10:19:27 pm »
He's salty cause he played me and the following happened.

He, as Vlad, retreated to near fullscreen thinking "I wanna missile him and he can't stop me"
I, as Dauntless, ran up and supered right through it.

Alt-F4'd before the 2nd hit of super. Impressive.