August 17, 2017, 02:29:17 pm

Author Topic: King of Fighters XIV  (Read 2363 times)

Vynce

• White Toast
  • Hater.
  • Rated: +561
King of Fighters XIV
« on: July 07, 2016, 06:29:00 pm »
Cautiously hype as hell. And since its bought and paid for, I am locked in.

PSN: Vizince

• Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
  • Rated: +1501
Re: King of Fighters XIV
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:45:33 pm »
I bought 12 to play in training mode because it looked hype at evo a few years ago, but I've never taken a KOF seriously. I want to like this one, the 3v3 reminds me so much of CvS2, but I dunno. Something about it just looks off.

Ill probably be buying it to check it out though
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:45:45 pm by Pimp Willy »
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs
Kaz is a better mafia player than I

✰Alpha✰

• Commando
  • Game Bot
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Child of Despair
  • Rated: +1895
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 12:59:41 am »
Do the models still look garbage?
Lynch: RadicalFuzz
Quote from: tortugagrande
That bio is the douchiest thing I have read all year, and I am an editor for yeswearedouchebags.com.

I Lurker

• Rye Toast
  • Burnt Toast
  • Rated: +10
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 06:38:20 am »

I don't think the game is "omgnextgen" amazing but I wouldn't call the models garbage. It looks like a high-end PS3 game to me. I can rock with that. In fact I do plan to rock with that. I'm getting a new ps4 stick and everything.

I Lurker

• Rye Toast
  • Burnt Toast
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 06:55:34 am »
I'd also like to do an online tourney for that as well. Jesus Toast brethren get automatic spots of course.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 09:32:07 am »

Yup.
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty x 1    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 0 Post Total)

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
  • Rated: +1397
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 05:47:29 am »
I might buy it based on how I feel when I try it at Evo.

PSN: LanierIsPlusEV
"I love you, you love me. Barney raped me by the sea." --Synonym
"Why do I feel like I'm being fooled by you both?  I can't find the penis.  I need to find the penis." --Augustus
"Nobody can read baby." --Pimp Willy
"Get your goddamn Battle Arena Toshinden shit out of my Tekken." --Souther
"That's when I decided to give up on my dream to become an X-Man and begin pursuing girls." --tortugagrande, champion of all our hearts.

I Lurker

• Rye Toast
  • Burnt Toast
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 09:28:19 am »
Yup.

I wouldn't say they're an example of next-gen graphics but "garbage" may be a bit harsh.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 12:19:00 pm »
It looks like a PS2 game : (

Vynce

• White Toast
  • Hater.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 02:05:28 pm »
It looks a lot better than IV, which was a PS3 game.

✰Alpha✰

• Commando
  • Game Bot
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Child of Despair
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 02:17:48 pm »
That bio is the douchiest thing I have read all year, and I am an editor for yeswearedouchebags.com.

Vynce

• White Toast
  • Hater.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 02:26:58 pm »

Vynce

• White Toast
  • Hater.
King of Fighters XIV
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 02:33:35 pm »
I mean, XIV isn't a graphical powerhouse, but IV was shit on top of being one of the ugliest fighting games of all time. People act like the latter wasn't so.

It was, but it got a pass because Street Fighter.

XIV may end up being an awful game with netcode in kind. But the overreaction is so-so visuals is funny coming from the "FGC" given how we all champion gameplay over graphics and miss those jaggy sprites.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:59:44 pm by Vynce »

I Lurker

• Rye Toast
  • Burnt Toast
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 03:41:12 pm »
I mean, XIV isn't a graphical powerhouse, but IV was shit on top of being one of the ugliest fighting games of all time. People act like the latter wasn't so.

It was, but it got a pass because Street Fighter.

XIV may end up being an awful game with netcode in kind. But the overreaction is so-so visuals is funny coming from the "FGC" given how we all champion gameplay over graphics and miss those jaggy sprites.

Doesn't SF4 look the way it does because of the art style instead of hardware (360 & PS3) capability?

It looks like a PS2 game : (

You tryin' to say PSa2 games are ugly? Deems fightings word bruh. Besides this is "late in its life PS3 level quality" at worst.

Vynce

• White Toast
  • Hater.
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 03:55:59 pm »
Yeah, IL.

And, I agree.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 04:18:47 pm »
Im definitely gonna catch the demo tomorrow, but still, its not so much the model quality, its the animations I think

Look around 51 seconds in. when joe is getting wailed on, it just looks stiff. Hes like locked into a shitty animation multiple times in a row. Street Fighter hits FEEL better, and I think its just because of the excessive use of hit effects SF uses to cover up the fact that these animations are very generic. I can't put my finger on why watching it feels wrong. It just feels like a knockoff out of the gate.

I will say watching the trailer, the models definitely don't look PS2 quality like I remembered in my head. PS3 is more accurate.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:20:18 pm by Pimp Willy »

✰Alpha✰

• Commando
  • Game Bot
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Child of Despair
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 04:23:58 pm »
SFIV visuals definitely did come out with a resounding "meh", but it came out at a time where it was one of the better looking fighting games at the time, purely because it was one of the only fighting games with 3D models and it didn't have much competition.

KOFXIV's coming out later than other fighting games with 3D models and it looks worse than them. Like if you're gonna release a fighting game with 3D models now, they have to be of similar or better quality to the ones we have now, or of course we're gonna call the graphics garbage.

Vynce

• White Toast
  • Hater.
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 05:52:30 pm »

RadicalFuzz

• Piece of cake
  • Mafia Endgame
  • White Toast
  • Rated: +372
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 07:34:37 am »
I think the problem is that KOF is using 3D models but still animating as if they were sprites. The way the sprites looked when getting hit looked perfectly fine in 13, it actually felt really responsive and satisfying because of it, but now with 3D models you need more commitment to each movement and it's not really there, so it looks off to a lot of people.
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful x 1    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 2 Post Total)

Vynce

• White Toast
  • Hater.
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 03:38:11 pm »

Man, I couldn't pull off my rekkas. Not like I normally could, I mean. Timing seemed off

• Like x 1    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 03:48:22 pm »
Downloaded the demo and gave it a try, didn't look half bad honestly; I still think the animations feel too stiff, but overall it didn't hurt my eyes like I feared it would. So many of the mechanics reminds me of CvS2, which is fun. I wish I had time to learn a new fighting game

I Lurker

• Rye Toast
  • Burnt Toast
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 05:39:36 pm »
Y'all got to play the demo?! I'm so jelly right now. First I got a "content not available" message. Now the spot where the demo was is completely blank.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 09:27:14 pm »
I had a hard time searching it out, had to go to all demos then sort by date for it to show up. Even searching "King" showed no results

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
  • Rated: +1397
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 11:00:59 am »
I never found time to try it at evo. But I got to see it in motion while waiting in line to get an evo shirt and it doesn't look as bad as it did initially. So graphically I think it's fine. There were positive reactions on the floor to it so I think it'll do well. Now just hope for good netcode.

Sent from my LG-F500K using Tapatalk

"I love you, you love me. Barney raped me by the sea." --Synonym
"Why do I feel like I'm being fooled by you both?  I can't find the penis.  I need to find the penis." --Augustus
"Nobody can read baby." --Pimp Willy
"Get your goddamn Battle Arena Toshinden shit out of my Tekken." --Souther
"That's when I decided to give up on my dream to become an X-Man and begin pursuing girls." --tortugagrande, champion of all our hearts.

RadicalFuzz

• Piece of cake
  • Mafia Endgame
  • White Toast
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 01:51:59 pm »
"let's hope for good netcode"
"King of Fighters series"
Commentary has made you into a funny man, MP.
  • Like x 1    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL x 1    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 2 Post Total)

Vynce

• White Toast
  • Hater.
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 03:18:49 pm »
Inputs feel way off.

Tried two sticks to be sure. Lost interest

RadicalFuzz

• Piece of cake
  • Mafia Endgame
  • White Toast
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 04:53:38 pm »
Input lag more than the standard, a la SFV? Or is it more the animations don't match with the buttons well?

Vynce

• White Toast
  • Hater.
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 02:53:30 am »
I can't pinpoint the problem. I'll keep experimenting though. I can hit the rekkas on a pad reliably, but not on my Happ nor Sanwa stick.

RadicalFuzz

• Piece of cake
  • Mafia Endgame
  • White Toast
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 08:38:33 am »
That's really strange. It's on two sticks so it's likely not a hardware thing on your end, not sure what it could be.

Vynce

• White Toast
  • Hater.
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 09:43:43 am »
Yeah, it drives me crazy. I had the same issue with Neo Wave and CVS2 on the OG Xbox.

Vynce

• White Toast
  • Hater.
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2016, 09:45:42 am »
 Absolutely no issues with the PS2 version of CVS2 using literally the same arcade stick