December 12, 2017, 09:30:38 pm

Author Topic: Game Design/Balancing Thread  (Read 20517 times)

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
  • Rated: +1407
Game Design/Balancing Thread
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:34:55 pm »
By popular demand, and because we often are trying to put together balanced games off of themes where we could get unbalanced fast, here we go.

Let's work together to get our games balanced and figure out if we have feature creep or are putting in the wrong roles for the setup.

Obligatory @ForgeDigger ping because she asked.
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs
"I love you, you love me. Barney raped me by the sea." --Synonym
"Why do I feel like I'm being fooled by you both?  I can't find the penis.  I need to find the penis." --Augustus
"Nobody can read baby." --Pimp Willy
"Get your goddamn Battle Arena Toshinden shit out of my Tekken." --Souther
"That's when I decided to give up on my dream to become an X-Man and begin pursuing girls." --tortugagrande, champion of all our hearts.

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
Re: Game Design/Balancing Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:37:01 pm »
I'll post up my Christmas theme later.  It's "ready" as in if I wanted to run it as is, I think it'd be balanced.

HOWEVER, given how this current big game has been such a nightmare, I'm considering scaling it back considerably, and either need to 100% run it as closed format (not every role goes out), or keep it open format but cut out some roles.

I have zero actual role cards finished, but the roles were pretty much finalized.
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs
"Why do I feel like I'm being fooled by you both?  I can't find the penis.  I need to find the penis." --Augustus
"That's when I decided to give up on my dream to become an X-Man and begin pursuing girls." --tortugagrande, champion of all our hearts.

Bious

• Shaking
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Rated: +707
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:07:29 pm »
I'll post the DR Runback roles once I'm done with them. Still debating Hiyoko's existence though.
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL x 1    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Cobalt

• Toastyoncé
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
  • "I want to break his jaw with my asshole."
  • Rated: +337
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 11:17:30 pm »
Oh man, can I post with my teen wolf game here after the run is finished on GTF? I have some things that need tweaking and some stuff that needs to be overhauled and reworked.

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 11:22:00 pm »
Yup, awesome.

XthAtGAm3RGuYX

• White Toast
  • Brother of Brine
  • Rated: +714
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:23:14 am »
I already went over these with MP, but I figure a second opinion wouldnt hurt.

Since I am going to be running Ace Attorney on The Syndicate, I added 4 roles to the game. Dhalia Hawthorne is only possible because I can use sock puppet accounts over there to run my game.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Ability: Paranormal assistance
After 4 mislynches, Phoenix may have Pearl channel Mia Fey and ask her 4 yes or no questions. May not ask if somebody is a Mafia. Further details below.

Ron DeLite: Delusional Fanboy
Ability: Courtroom Distraction
At any point during day phase, Ron may submit "CONFESS" to the GM. This will stop the lynch and advance the game to night phase. Ron has a 50% chance to be declared "NOT GUILTY" and survive confessing, outcome decided byto cointoss. If he is not declared Guilty, the game will still progress to night phase. Ron may only use this ability once.

Mia Fey: Defense Attorney
Ability: Post Mortem observation
Mia Fey is Phoenix's mentor. Can be channeled by a spirit medium like Maya or Pearl to assist Phoenix in court.

Dhalia Hawthorne: Cute faced murderer
Ability: Vengeful spirit.
A random Mafia member will be given the role of Dhalia. That player will not know they are Dhalia. If Dhalia is killed Day 2 and onwards, she will possess a random roleless civ. She can only possess a player if Maya, Phoenix, and Godot were still alive at the time of her death. More details below.

The game also does not have Last Gasps anymore. "Further details below" is stuff that will be explained in notes that wouldnt fit in the rolecard.

Mia Fey is actually me, the GM.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:23:43 am by XthAtGAm3RGuYX »
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL x 1    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Adam Levine

• Sugar-Crusted Dutch Toast
  • Rye Toast
  • Got Moves Like Jagger
  • Rated: +24
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 04:54:20 am »
Hey guys, I want to know your opinions on having this role in mafia. Do you think this is an unbalanced ability? This role existed in the most fun mafia game I've ever played (the theme of the game was Supernatural TV series, obviously) and the results of almost every night made all spectators burst into laughter. Granted the player was legendary, so I cannot take that one very good performance as only sample.

Its worth to notice the roles were not disclosed in that game, meaning a sample was given only. The detective was the sample for civs and the godfather role was the sample for mafia.

Here is the role:

XthAtGAm3RGuYX

• White Toast
  • Brother of Brine
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 06:05:39 am »
Dude that shit is like 6 roles mashed into one. You can't have a bulletproof ability deflector who also isn't revealed when killed the first time.
  • Like    Dislike    Agree x 1    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Adam Levine

• Sugar-Crusted Dutch Toast
  • Rye Toast
  • Got Moves Like Jagger
  • Rated: +24
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 06:14:01 am »
Dude that shit is like 6 roles mashed into one. You can't have a bulletproof ability deflector who also isn't revealed when killed the first time.

Normally you'd be right, but it was not a "normal" mafia game per say. I suppose you could call it "role madness", most people had something to do at night, or something passive. But overall both sides had equal chance of winning. Also the mafia had bypass bulletproof ability, but it had limited usage.

The protection message said the player was protected at night, but no, his role wasn't revealed.

For fitting into a normal game, I suppose the bulletproof can be taken from the role, only the first part remaining. Not to mention the ability has potential to completely ruin Civilian actions too and he only wins if the Civilians win.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:22:45 am by Adam Levine »

Bious

• Shaking
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 07:48:20 am »
So in my next game there's this lovely piece of Kromobait:

Another DR one. This one is a good one.

Hiyoko
Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Civ: If you are lynched the Mafia does not get a night kill the following night.

Mafia: You absolutely cannot be lynched. Period. Auto-loss if you are the last Mafia.

Thoughts (besides MP)?

descuffphoenix

• White Toast
  • DeSlayage
  • Rated: +134
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 08:47:45 am »
Is there any good way to handle a sort of immortal/dying-like mafia? The idea I have is a mafia who win condition is either winning with mafia or dying at night.

The first ability is being killed at night which would allow him to win.

The second ability will prevent his lynch only once, but he get revealed as a mafia but he can no longer communicate with them. Also it would negate the first ability.
Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only.

✰Alpha✰

• Commando
  • Game Bot
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Child of Despair
  • Rated: +1942
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 01:24:37 pm »
So in my next game there's this lovely piece of Kromobait:

Thoughts (besides MP)?

Her Mafia ability is one of those ones that sounds OP just by looking at it, but in practice it'll probably be fine. There might need to be a Civ Vigi role with a semi-bad Mafia ability, so Mafia has to choose between making Hiyoko vulnerable and taking a better ability.
Lynch: RadicalFuzz
Quote from: tortugagrande
That bio is the douchiest thing I have read all year, and I am an editor for yeswearedouchebags.com.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
  • Rated: +1517
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 02:16:23 pm »
Yeah, I mean, her mafia power seems reasonable. Yeah, they don't die, but you know they're mafia so then its just an extra vote for the mafia and 1 person closer to parity.

Its almost better to take her so you dont have to deal with her civ ability than to get her mafia ability though lol
Kaz is a better mafia player than I

Bious

• Shaking
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 02:53:30 pm »
Yeah, I mean, her mafia power seems reasonable. Yeah, they don't die, but you know they're mafia so then its just an extra vote for the mafia and 1 person closer to parity.

Its almost better to take her so you dont have to deal with her civ ability than to get her mafia ability though lol

That's the main thing I'm afraid of really: her being the Vergil to many a team.

Speaking of DR...

Roles that stayed the same so far (So Far):

Makoto
Hinata
Nekomaru (MP)
Sonia (Haha Alpha)

Speaking of staying the same...

Kigiri (May Alter):

Civ: Normal detective.
Mafia: Choose a player at night. You will watch over this player. If they make any actions or have any actions used on them you will be notified of them.

Sidenote: If Kigiri is Mafia Chiaki is automatically made the UC and rendered unrecruitable.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:59:14 pm by Bious »

Cobalt

• Toastyoncé
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 01:29:37 am »
Alright, so my Teen Wolf game just ended and here are some things I'd like to get tweaking.

Firstly, here is the list of roles as they were presented before cards went out:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Civilian:

Sheriff Stilinski
Detective: You may target one player each night. Your result will be given as innocent, guilty, or inconclusive.

Melissa McCall
Medic: You may target one player each night. That player will be protected from all kill attempts that phase. You may not target yourself.

Scott McCall
True Alpha: You have one stock each of investigation, protection, and vigilantism. You may target one player with one stock during the night phase.

Stiles Stilinski
Lover: You are informed of Derek Hale's identity and have a separate conversation from the main game. If Derek is killed at night, you will die instead.

Derek Hale
Lover: You are informed of Stiles Stilinski's identity and have a separate conversation from the main game. If Stiles is killed at night, you die instead.

Allison Argent
Huntress: Your ability becomes active once Kate Argent makes a kill, otherwise by night three. You may target one player for a kill attempt at night. There will be a one phase cooldown in between your kills.

Lydia Martin
Banshee: You may target one player each night. You will be informed who, if anyone, targeted that player. If that player is Jackson Whittemore, they convert to civilian. In addition, you will be notified by the GM if more than two kills are submitted at the night phase, and may submit a "scream" to the GM to be published before the end of the night phase.

Isaac Lahey
Thief: You may target one player each night. If that player dies, you gain the use of their ability. This will only work on civilians, with the exceptions of Parrish, Morrell, Braeden, and Ethan.

Erica Reyes
Bombshell: Your votes count three times during the day phase. Extra votes will not be shown.

Vernon Boyd
Gentle Giant: The first kill attempt submitted against you will fail.

Cora Hale
Innocent: If you are lynched during the day, the lynch will fail, and your role will be revealed.

Danny Mahealani
Hacker: You may target one player each night. If that player is Sheriff, Lydia, or Chris Argent, you will receive a list of all results that player has gotten in the game. You may not target the same player twice.

Kira Yukimura
Nine Tails: You are invulnerable to kill attempts made on you during the night phase.

Malia Tate
Deficiency: Votes you cast during the day phase don't count.

Chris Argent
Tracker: You may target one player each night phase. You will be informed who, if anyone, that player targeted that night.

Jordan Parrish
Phoenix: If you are targeted by Kate Argent, you will survive arson, and kill her.

Ethan
Twin: You may target one player each night. If you successfully target Aiden, his mafia player will die, and his card will merge with yours. You will gain a new card, as the Twins, and you will also gain Aiden’s secondary ability.

Marin Morrell
Ulterior Motives: You may target one player each night and reveal yourself to them. If that player is Braeden, you gain one kill stock for use through her. If that player is another civilian, your identity will be revealed to them. If that player is Deucalion, you will be converted to mafia. If that player is any other mafia, you will die.

Braeden
Mercenary: If contracted by Morrell, you gain one kill stock for use on Morrell's target, and one kill stock of your own.

Third Party:

Alan Deaton
Emissary: You are informed of Scott McCall's identity. You only win if he survives until the end of the game.

Jackson Whittemore
Kanima: You are a traitor. If anyone targets you, they will be paralyzed and lose their ability for one phase, with the exception of Lydia and Danny. If Lydia targets you, you convert to civilian. If you are not converted by night three, Matt Daehler gains one kill stock for use through you. You only win if you are converted, and you no longer paralyze civilians once you have converted.

Peter Hale
Survivor: You only win the game if you are alive at the end of it.

Kate Argent
Arsonist: You may target one player at night. That player will be killed. You only win if Derek, Cora, and Peter Hale are all dead, and if you killed at least one of them. You have one night phase of cooldown in between your kills.

Mafia:

Deucalion
Demon Wolf: You are responsible for submitting the night kill for the mafia. In lieu of this, you may send in a guess of three players and their roles. If you guess all three correctly, all three will die regardless of their abilities. If you do not guess correctly, you will die. This ability will be passed down to a mafia of your choice if you die.

Kali
Enforcer: You may target one player each night. That player's ability will be nullified for that phase.

Ennis
Strongman: You may target the mafia kill target at night. The target will die regardless of any resistances or immunities to night kill, including medic targets, Boyd, and Kira. This ability may only be used twice.

Jennifer Blake
Darach: Using dark druid magic, you may silence one player each night. That player will be unable to post in the following day phase. If the Sheriff investigates you, he will receive an innocent result.

Matt Daehler
Handler: You know the identity of Jackson Whittemore. If he has not been targeted by Lydia Martin and converted to civilian by night three, you gain one kill stock for use through your kanima.

Gerard Argent
Influence: You may target one player each night. If that player is Allison Argent, you may redirect her kill target to a target of your choice.

Aiden
Twin: You may target one player each night. If that player is Ethan, he will be converted to mafia. In addition, if you are lynched during the day, the first player that voted for you will die. If you are killed at night, whoever killed you dies as well.

And priority list:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Lover (sacrifice) > Strongman > Enforce > Medic > Thief > Triple Kill > Nine Tails > Gentle Giant > Night Kill > Kanima > Influence > Twin (Aiden) > Huntress > Phoenix > Arsonist > Handler (kill stock) > Mercenary (kill stock) > Ulterior Motives (kill stock) > Darach > Detective > Banshee > Tracker > Hacker

In the first few phases, the faults in Jackson's role became painfully obvious. The mafia was unable to use Jackson in a triple kill, as they were handed his identity from the beginning of the game to Matt Daehler. Thus, there was nothing stopping him from simply claiming and converting to civilian, thus winning the game. Our Jackson soft claimed but didn't get picked up, and then finally got converted night three after the mafia received the kill stock.

One thing that was apparent was that Jackson needed to be much more of a third party character. He was the traitor, except due to plot reasons of the show he didn't kill, he only paralyzed. (The kanima paralyzes but of course can kill, hence the kill stock to Matt who controlled it.) His win condition was much too restricting - after some discussion postgame, here are the alternatives that I can think of.

I could make Jackson third party paralyzing traitor. He still becomes civilian if Lydia targets him, but that is not his win condition. He wins with the mafia if he remains unconverted, and he wins with the civilians after he gets converted. I'm also considering not giving the mafia his identity at all - I can't remember whether or not Matt Daehler actually knew it was Jackson behind the kanima in the show, I have to go back and look at that. This would discourage him role claiming, too.

Role claiming is what really wrecked the civilians in that game - they were off to an insane start, but I'll also describe how the mafia won. The SK suicide bombed on Aiden in the first night phase, taking out the SK and the T4T mafia. Night one, the JOAT got killed and the watcher (Lydia, who can also scream) got enforced. Three people died that night and there was no scream, which the mafia didn't notice until later. Day two, the enforcer was lynched, and on night two, both the watcher and the tracker witnessed the silencer / the silencer's target. Night two, @Augustus was the kill target, but he was one of the lovers - the autosacrifice is at the top of the priority list, which means he survived and his lover died instead. Day three the silencer edited a post again and got DQ'd and another civ was lynched anyway. Night three was a huge blow, as the triple kill went off, killing the Sheriff, Lydia, the Emissary who lost already, and Augustus, the other lover with a strongman. Day four there was a last minute fire drill onto the strong man. So the civs had taken out a good amount of mafia, more than half the team, but they still wound up winning thanks to Deucalion's player being a bona fide fucking genius. They figured out another triple kill and knocked the medic and the vigi out too after successfully redirecting her kill the night before, and then on the last day phase it was 6-3. Morrell was still in the game and Braeden had been lynched the day before. Given that Morrell can win with whatever side she's on, Deucalion tied the vote last minute and there was no lynch, calling Morrell to flip for the win. Morrell flipped, 5-4, they killed Jackson finally, and it was 4-4. Mafia won.

With that last particular series of events, it became blatantly clear that Morrell was in EVERY essence a third party character. I wanted to make her third party, but it seemed to be favoring the mafia too much already, but it's been made clear through gameplay that Morrell needs to be third party. The proposed change that I came up with is this: Morrell is third party and reveals herself to her target. If she finds Braeden first, she becomes civilian and they both gain their kill stocks (Morrell can only use hers if Braeden is alive because mercenary), but if she finds Deucalion, she flips mafia and may still hunt for Braeden for the stock. I'm removing the stipulation that if she finds another mafia than Deucalion she dies, but I'm thinking that she might need to be able to convert with more than just Deucalion for it to be a decent chance of happening without a role claim. Thoughts on this as well?

While we're on the subject of third parties, Kate's win condition is near impossible. I really need to tweak it but I don't know where to begin yet.

I'm making Deaton a civilian, and also giving Scott his identity. That way the two know each other but can't speak privately, and can work so that Deaton can keep Scott alive as long as possible. Deaton has a separate win condition but is still entirely civilian based, so I'm definitely gonna make him blue.

Malia Tate's ability was a jab at the character herself, she was brought into the show haphazardly to fill SEVERAL loose plotlines left by other characters leaving the show, and also to get in the way of the popular fan pairing of Stiles and Derek. It was forced, the character wasn't enjoyable, and I wanted to like the character for her sake but simply couldn't because of the way it was executed. Also she was stuck in her coyote form since she was 8 years old so it really squicked me out that a girl who was mentally an 8 year old was making out with Stiles in the basement of a mental institution. Like no. Sorry.

Continuing on that, I made her useless. Instead, I'm thinking about making her vote a SUBTRACTION vote. We almost saw the use of Erica in phase one, actually - if two less people fire drilled onto the lynch target, he would have had fewer public votes but still died because of Erica. I thought about giving Malia a true deficiency and sapping even more away from her voting power to give it much more of a strategic spin.

I didn't know what to do with Boyd's role so I gave him a one shot bulletproof, but we already have a permanent bulletproof in the form of Kira Yukimura. In late game in my game they were both actually still alive which was actually a big potential monkey wrench for the mafia, but thankfully Jackson was still around for the final night kill to end the game after Morrell flipped. Otherwise they risked 1/3 of the targets failing, which would have ended them. I don't think both should have bulletproofs, so I may need another stock role to use on either Boyd or Kira.

If anyone here actually KNOWS the show, that would be REALLY helpful - a lot of the game mechanics are actually based off the relationships in the show and as such knowledge on that could help with ideas to change up some abilities.

One more thing, third parties counted as civilian for parity but that allowed a claimed survivor to hang around in the game until he got triple killed. Not sure how I felt about that, the civs had no reason to actually lynch him.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome, I'd love to run this role madness game here soon but it needs a little work first. The first run was actually really fun, it was the longest mafia thread in GTF history in terms of page/post count, and my writeups were wicked, even though I still owe like 6 of them. :rip:

Links are on the first post if anyone wants to see writeups/phase results or read the gameplay. Note that you can't view avatars while a guest, as TGG noticed once when he thought we had no avatars. :skull:

http://www.gayteenforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69007
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:37:17 am by Cobalt »

Synonym

• ಥ_ಥ
  • Spam Defender
  • White Toast
  • Brother of Brine
  • Rated: +795
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 02:40:46 am »
I'd like to suggest we try and balance the roles in Pimp Willy's "Choose your own role adventure" game.

Skizzzgasm
Join us. Baptize yourself in the Brine, and call yourself a Brother of mine.
Lustful moans can be heard from the girls bathroom. Several moments pass and Synonym steps out of bathroom wearing only his pants. It seem's that Fleur's Chamber of Secrets isn't such a secret to his wand anymore.

Aidebit

• White Toast
  • Green Eggs and Hair
  • Rated: +139
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 02:49:33 am »
We could do it Whispers style, ten words in order to describe a role.

Pimp Willy

• Spam Defender
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Fuck Fantasy Football
  • Rated: +1517
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 01:53:22 pm »
You could always submit a role, and then all the roles are randomized? lol
Kaz is a better mafia player than I

XthAtGAm3RGuYX

• White Toast
  • Brother of Brine
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 02:38:52 pm »
Normally you'd be right, but it was not a "normal" mafia game per say. I suppose you could call it "role madness", most people had something to do at night, or something passive. But overall both sides had equal chance of winning. Also the mafia had bypass bulletproof ability, but it had limited usage.

The protection message said the player was protected at night, but no, his role wasn't revealed.

For fitting into a normal game, I suppose the bulletproof can be taken from the role, only the first part remaining. Not to mention the ability has potential to completely ruin Civilian actions too and he only wins if the Civilians win.

For the record, if a third party wins when civs do, its not a third party. It's a civ power role. You could maybe balance that with, "If this third party role dies, they lose regardless of if civs win or not"

Cobalt

• Toastyoncé
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 06:15:25 pm »
Nobody wants to tackle my game? :rip:

Synonym

• ಥ_ಥ
  • Spam Defender
  • White Toast
  • Brother of Brine
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 06:38:37 pm »
Lydia Martin
Banshee: You may target one player each night. You will be informed who, if anyone, targeted that player. If that player is Jackson Whittemore, they convert to civilian. In addition, you will be notified by the GM if more than two kills are submitted at the night phase, and may submit a "scream" to the GM to be published before the end of the night phase.

Broken as fuck. Tracker + Seer + some advance warning system bullshit with no stocks. Even with Banshee not being told the identity of the kill targets it's still too much in one role.

Marin Morrell
Ulterior Motives: You may target one player each night and reveal yourself to them. If that player is Braeden, you gain one kill stock for use through her. If that player is another civilian, your identity will be revealed to them. If that player is Deucalion, you will be converted to mafia. If that player is any other mafia, you will die.

This needs a clause  that you can't target Braeden multiple times.

I also don't like the twins roles but haven't got any better suggestions for them.
Lustful moans can be heard from the girls bathroom. Several moments pass and Synonym steps out of bathroom wearing only his pants. It seem's that Fleur's Chamber of Secrets isn't such a secret to his wand anymore.

Cobalt

• Toastyoncé
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 07:28:35 pm »
Broken as fuck. Tracker + Seer + some advance warning system bullshit with no stocks. Even with Banshee not being told the identity of the kill targets it's still too much in one role. It's a watcher btw, there's a tracker and a watcher in this game.

This needs a clause  that you can't target Braeden multiple times.

I also don't like the twins roles but haven't got any better suggestions for them.
The banshee screams are actually written by me (the GM) in the form of a writeup with only a little bit of Lydia's input as to what they want in them. They're trippy as fuck, and it actually turned out really well.

http://www.gayteenforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69007&start=1680#p2336746

Lydia wanted it to be known that they had witnessed the silencing the night prior, before the silencer DQ'd during the phase after they almost got lynched, so that was the part about vonvorto in the beginning. The rest actually hinted at which characters were dying but it was so vague it was difficult to pick up on.

I actually really liked that mechanic.

And yes, Braeden can't be targeted multiple times, the stocks only work once.

I mainly wanted to address Jackson, Kate, Malia, and Boyd.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:29:08 pm by Cobalt »

Bious

• Shaking
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 07:34:24 pm »
This DR role I specially altered.

Junko:

Civ: At the end of night 3 your identity will be revealed to the thread.

Mafia: If you are not the Valedictorian you are automatically made it. If you die at any time you can change any mafia member into a clone of yourself without this ability.

ForgeDigger

• One True Starfish
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
  • I hate you
  • Rated: +624
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 01:45:45 pm »
Okay guys, really want your input on these. Do you think it's balanced enough?

Mirai Nikki Draft 1:
Some things to note about this game before I get to the role cards:
-Players may send "text messages" between each other. Right now, I'm thinking that each player may send a max of 5 text messages throughout the game with 150 characters or less each because their cell phone service sucks or some shit. Players are allowed to create the PM their selves, as long as the GM is included in the conversation.
-I'm still unsure how exactly I want it to work out, but I'm thinking that players will first be assigned roles, and then roles will randomly be chosen as civilian or mafia. There will be 5 mafia (max of 6 if 8th's recruited). What do you guys think on this front?
-There will be no last gasps.

Here's the role cards:
Spoiler for Hiden:

If it isn't obvious, this is a role madness game. I know it's a lot to take in, but any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated!
  • Like x 1    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)
かえるおねがい!

c:

✰Alpha✰

• Commando
  • Game Bot
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Child of Despair
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 04:19:37 pm »
Spelling errors make me cry. Having half of the images tinted blue and the other half not also makes me cry.

So if Fourth is Civilian, Nishijima is roleless? I think being roleless is a pretty good indication of whether or not Fourth is Mafia.
That bio is the douchiest thing I have read all year, and I am an editor for yeswearedouchebags.com.

RadicalFuzz

• Piece of cake
  • Mafia Endgame
  • White Toast
  • Rated: +372
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 04:34:37 pm »
I'm assuming that Nishijima will be acting as Medic regardless, but will only be talking to a wall if 4th was Civ.

✰Alpha✰

• Commando
  • Game Bot
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Child of Despair
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 04:37:02 pm »
Ah, so he'll send through actions regardless of Fourth's allegiance, but it's just a placebo protection unless Fourth is Mafia.

ForgeDigger

• One True Starfish
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
  • I hate you
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 05:43:41 pm »
Right. Nishijima would send a target in each night as though he were medic regardless if he were medic or not.

Yeah, I'm still working on the actual role cards. I had this idea to make the pictures blue if they were civilian and red if they're mafia (as the 2 openings use either color pretty much exclusively), but the secondary characters are non-existent in either opening, and seventh only gets a clear shot in the red op. So I think I'm gonna scrap that idea. I'm open to suggestions, though.
かえるおねがい!

c:

XthAtGAm3RGuYX

• White Toast
  • Brother of Brine
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 02:14:22 pm »
Anybody here that would be interested in co-hosting Ace Attorney with me if I get to run it on the syndicate? I'd need a co-host because the phase times and my work schedule would inevitably create times where Im not around to post results.

Requirements:
-Reading and understanding ALL of the rules and role quirks prior to game start
-Setting your av on the site to the Canadian Judge.

You probably wont have to do any writeups as I plan to do all of them.

jasonC

• Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Rated: +735
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 04:45:56 pm »
TGG I can do it as long as its not within the next month.

XthAtGAm3RGuYX

• White Toast
  • Brother of Brine
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2015, 04:47:58 pm »
TGG I can do it as long as its not within the next month.
The poll doesnt even start until June 5th I think or around then. I dont know how long the poll itself is though

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 11:32:04 pm »
I'm wanting to eventually have a runback of EOW, but it needs overhauled.  It was heavily civ favored when it was ran before.  I'll also need to change some of the role names just because some of these people are irrelevant on JTM.

Spoiler for Civilians:

Spoiler for Mafia:

Probably getting rid of the <RadicalFuzz> role because it actually wasn't a great role.  I feel like a Forger is necessary.  I feel like the <Missing Person> role needs to be redesigned or done away with.  I'm also considering putting stocks on <SoVi3t> (And changing the name.)

It might be worth it to scrap what I have and start fresh with some of the crazy shit that has happened on JTM.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:33:18 pm by Missing Person »
  • Like x 1    Dislike    Agree x 2    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 3 Post Total)

✰Alpha✰

• Commando
  • Game Bot
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Child of Despair
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 12:24:56 am »
It might be worth it to scrap what I have and start fresh with some of the crazy shit that has happened on JTM.

Yep. Don't have players based on roles, have roles based on players.

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 12:28:05 am »
Godots must be a role.

Я Рон Бургундии?

Cobalt

• Toastyoncé
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 12:37:11 am »
Make a Cobalt role. :eli:

Cobalt

• Toastyoncé
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2015, 12:37:34 am »
Hey Alpha wanna tackle my game with me? I still haven't worked all the kinks out.

✰Alpha✰

• Commando
  • Game Bot
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Child of Despair
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 12:46:14 am »
Hey Alpha wanna tackle my game with me? I still haven't worked all the kinks out.

That's so much reading tho.
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs x 1 (List of Rates | -1 Post Total)

descuffphoenix

• White Toast
  • DeSlayage
  • Rated: +134
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 12:52:38 am »
Phoenix Role. Skizzzgasm
Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only. Logic only.

Cobalt

• Toastyoncé
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 12:55:59 am »

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 01:08:46 am »
Make a Cobalt role. :eli:

Cobalt: Pissy Player
Yells at everyone Day 1 then subs out.

kappa
  • Like x 1    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL x 2    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 3 Post Total)

Cobalt

• Toastyoncé
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 01:09:12 am »
Cobalt: Pissy Player
Yells at everyone Day 1 then subs out.

kappa
Pls let that not be what I'm remembered as

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 01:15:22 am »
Pls let that not be what I'm remembered as

I highly doubt it will be.

People would probably move on from HUNKgate if I wouldn't bring it up to shame myself.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:15:43 am by Missing Person »

✰Alpha✰

• Commando
  • Game Bot
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Child of Despair
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 01:29:38 am »
Pls? :3

-So Arsonist is an SK with a 1 phase cooldown between kills? I'm used to the Town of Salem variant where you each Night, you either douse a person or you choose to ignite all doused players.
-Having the 3 role guess for Mafia helps with the amount of roles Civs have, but dying if you guess wrong is too much. Losing out on a kill is punishment enough.
-There's a lot of roles specific to another role. I'm guessing they didn't see much use.

I got distracted reading halfway through that because I couldn't keep up with which names were associated with which roles.

✰Alpha✰

• Commando
  • Game Bot
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Child of Despair
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 01:32:25 am »
When I say I got distracted, I mean I started brainstorming a Revenge Mafia game. The game would be heavily Civ-favoured, with Amanda being the most OP role JTM's ever seen, but if Amanda dies, Civs instantly lose.

Might come back to this idea one day when I've finished Virtue's Last Reward and Smash Bros.

Synonym

• ಥ_ಥ
  • Spam Defender
  • White Toast
  • Brother of Brine
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 01:48:42 am »
The occultist role is obviously getting renamed to the hail Satan.

And I think the reason it ended up being civ favoured was because I was civilian.

Tooooooooooooooooooggggggsssssssssss.

• Like x 1    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL x 1    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 2 Post Total)

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 01:51:07 am »

And I think the reason it ended up being civ favoured was because I was civilian.

HIDE YO KIDS, HIDE YO WIFE
  • Like    Dislike    Agree x 1    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Cobalt

• Toastyoncé
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 01:59:36 am »
-So Arsonist is an SK with a 1 phase cooldown between kills? I'm used to the Town of Salem variant where you each Night, you either douse a person or you choose to ignite all doused players.
-Having the 3 role guess for Mafia helps with the amount of roles Civs have, but dying if you guess wrong is too much. Losing out on a kill is punishment enough.
-There's a lot of roles specific to another role. I'm guessing they didn't see much use.

I got distracted reading halfway through that because I couldn't keep up with which names were associated with which roles.
Yeah, she's not actually an arsonist role, but her character in the show set Derek Hale's house on fire when he was a teenager with 95% of his family still inside it.

If you take away the death penalty from triple kill there's no reason for them not to guess until they get it right. They have to do the deduction and make sure. They never sent in a wrong attempt so I doubt it would be an issue. Plus it presents a good opportunity for civs to trick the mafia into killing one of their own.

Morrell wasn't able to target Braeden and Aiden + the SK died night one so the other twin and the phoenix were pretty much useless. I was hoping to see more interesting stuff there.

✰Alpha✰

• Commando
  • Game Bot
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Child of Despair
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 03:39:17 am »
If you take away the death penalty from triple kill there's no reason for them not to guess until they get it right. They have to do the deduction and make sure. They never sent in a wrong attempt so I doubt it would be an issue. Plus it presents a good opportunity for civs to trick the mafia into killing one of their own.

I mean make it so that they can either kill one player OR guess 3 players. The reason for them not to guess is that if they're wrong, they miss out on their Night kill.

ForgeDigger

• One True Starfish
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
  • I hate you
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2015, 04:56:19 am »
@Cobalt what do you think of my game?
かえるおねがい!

c:

Bious

• Shaking
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2015, 05:55:42 am »

If I recall correctly we were killing you Night 1.
Somehow that became Chief.