September 20, 2017, 03:58:57 am

Author Topic: The Misaki Chronicles (A repost from /r/nosleep, written by me)  (Read 1655 times)

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
  • Rated: +1397
So in December, to try to break through my writer's block, and in response to a really weird dream I had one night, I wrote this and posted it on Reddit in /r/nosleep.  I've never finished the actual saga, but I'd love to get some critique and ultimately finish it, off of /r/nosleep.  Here we go:

So, this has got me freaked out, naturally, especially given the circumstances. Let me explain.

I have been living in Japan as an English teacher for a couple of years, teaching elementary school students. I had heard crazy stories about students with their teachers online, so I was prepared for that. I had also heard enough weird Japan stories from people who had lived there that I thought I was at least prepped for the random things that may happen to me, and how to avoid bad scenarios that would end up with me in deep shit.

However, there's always an exception.

Last night I went to bed. I only know this because I woke up in my bed last this morning, and I remember dreaming. It was vivid, to say the least.

I dreamed I went with one of my acquaintances over here to this maid cafe. (Reference if you're not aware of some of the weird shit that is in Japan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid_caf%C3%A9) I call this guy an acquaintance because he most certainly isn't someone I would call a friend in normal circumstances. He's an American, and one of those types with the highest extremes of yellow fever. The kind of guy that was beating down the immigration doors to get into Japan and get near Japanese women, and pretty much worships the ground they walk on. If you've spent any time over here, you probably know one or two that fit this bill yourself.
So of course, he always struck me as creepy, but we both came in through the same Program and have the same group that we hang out with, so he ends up wanting to hang out at times. For me, it at least keeps me sane with some adult English interaction. I wasn't inclined to actually go to one of these things, but it was cold in my apartment due to my heater not working well, and at least I wouldn't have to hang out alone in Kyoto, so I followed him. Besides, I figured that no harm would come of me being there, and at least I may have some interesting experience to remember from my time here.

He billed this place as a maid cafe, but there were no maids. I suppose there are different themes to these things, but I was not prepared for the actual theme to be a schoolgirl themed cafe. It was a little creepy, to say the least. Even more creepy was the fact that my acquaintance was completely enamored by it. I mean, we're teachers here, for Christ's sake. I was thankful the program didn't put him in a high school at that point.

So I'm sitting here at this cafe, feeling completely and totally uncomfortable at this booth where this guy is sitting with someone pretending to be a schoolgirl, and trying to figure out a way to make my leave, when suddenly he hands me his wallet, and tells me to "hold onto it." Before I can even protest, he and this "schoolgirl" walks off into a secluded area. Great, now I'm stuck here holding his wallet, feeling completely uncomfortable, but can't leave because he'll need his wallet back. I almost thought of leaving anyway, and letting him fend for himself.
Then she sat down. I guess sensing that I was feeling uncomfortable and was about to make my escape, the manager sent a girl to sit with me. Granted, the whole atmosphere of this place was giving me the fucking creeps, and having a girl put her attention on me wasn't helping much.

She introduced herself as Misaki, and she filled out her costume rather nicely. She also spoke decent English. Obviously, it was English in the Engrish sense, but compared to other people I've had try to speak English to me, it was more than intelligible.

"Nice to meet you, Misaki," I explained, planting my hands to rise from my seat. "But I was just getting ready to leave."

"Why so soon leave?" She asked, looking surprised and disappointed.

"Well, I don't really feel--" and that's as far as I got with my explanation, before she jumped into my lap and wrapped my arms around her waist.

"It's okay," she assured. "I'm here now."

I was startled, to say the least. I wanted to dump her out into the floor. I wanted to bolt out of the door and straight for the transtation, my acquaintance and his wallet be damned.

I just couldn't. The warmth of her body, the way she clasped my hands. It just sapped my drive to move.
"What is your name?" she asked, as if she was reading straight out of an English textbook. I owed her that much and did so. "Nice to meet you," she said as she tightened my arms around her waist.

I almost couldn't breathe, I was so nervous. What the hell was I doing here? And yet, I couldn't move. Trying to break the tension, I asked more about her. I figured at least I could start with age, to see how close our age gap was, so to see if we had anything in common.

Misaki responded with "15."

15?! Surely this was bullshit. I couldn't imagine a teenage schoolgirl being employed at a maid cafe at 10 pm at night. I protested this fact and she turned in my lap to face me, with something in her hands.

It was her government-issued ID, which was really telling. First, if you haven't seen these things, these are near impossible to counterfeit, with all the security measures the Japanese government puts into place. Secondly, damned if her name wasn't Misaki after all. I would've figured she would've given an alias, as not wanting to be stalked after work is apparently a concern here. And finally, staring me right in the fact was the fact that she was, in fact, born in 1999.

My mouth went dry and I stammered. I was an English teacher in Japan, with a lap full of a Japanese schoolgirl in an obvious, yet most likely staged, show of affection from her. I did not need to be here and I should not be there any longer. I think that was the drive I needed to give me the strength to detach her from myself and get the hell out of dodge.

And yet, almost sensing what was going through my mind, Misaki leaned in and kissed me. Everything that I wanted to do--run away, scream, throw her into the floor--escaped me in this kiss. I couldn't control myself and reciprocated. All the anxiety melted away at this point.

"Do you love me?" she asked, and before I could respond, she pulled me back in for another deep kiss, grabbing my hands and guiding them up her skirt. This whole thing was becoming a blur, and I wasn't sure what I was doing or why my impulse control wasn't kicking in, but yet at that point, I didn't care. I hadn't been on a date in a couple of months, hadn't been laid in longer, so the fact that I had a girl throwing herself at me was a welcome change. Given that I had Japanese men, teachers even, reminding me of the age of consent here, and that there was nothing wrong with it (yes, this happens), I finally just gave in and enjoyed the moment.

"Wallet," I heard my acquaintance say, bringing me back to reality. I handed it off to him, and looked over to Misaki as he went to pay. I told her I have to go, and she handed me a card, and told me she would see me again soon. I got up, a little disoriented as all the blood began rushing back into my head, and moved to the cashier, my acquaintance already outside. I grabbed my wallet to pay for myself, and the girl at the register just simply met me with a blank stare. I pulled out some money, and she just waved me off. I assumed my acquaintance paid for my time with Misaki and just left.

It wasn't until I got on the last train home that I looked at that card she gave me. It was all white, no business name, no hint of that maid cafe's information on it, but just her full name in Japanese, her phone number, and her phone's email address. On the back, it said, "Please call me."

That card sat on my nightstand for a couple days. I should've thrown it away. She was 15, I was 25. A decade difference. She was still in high school, or should at least be if she wasn't a dropout, which I wasn't sure of. I could've just let it go, chalked it up to sheer random insanity and my weird Japan moment.

And then I emailed her. I still can't fully explain why, but I can say that the experience I had with her was one of the most organic moments I've ever had in my life. I just sent her a quick email with my name and that it was nice to meet her, and hopefully we would be able to catch up sometime. It took about two minutes from the sending of the email for her to call me. We chatted for several hours about anything and everything, from favorite food to favorite music to whatever. You know, that normal small talk. When she offered for us to visit, I decided to.

We wound up going to a movie. I don't even remember what movie it was, because we were both face to face the entire time.

And so for most of this dream, we would meet at different places, usually resulting in us cuddling and making out and petting over the clothes. And during this whole time, it felt right, but yet so wrong. This dream must have taken the time span of a year or so in real life time, because I can remember various visits. And every time, she was in her school uniform.

But at some point, she just disappeared. I don't mean this in a way that she stopped responding to me and moved on her with her life. I mean, there was no trace of her. Emails started bouncing back. If I tried to call her, I would get a recording in Japanese and English saying that I had dialed an invalid number. I had no clue what had happened, and felt kind of let down, because Misaki had grown to be such a large part of my life in this dream. I could even feel this even in my subconscious. I can remember dreaming about work, and when I wasn't there, I was with Misaki.

And through this whole ordeal, I could hear this voice saying, "I'll come back." It wasn't her voice, but I could tell it was some kind of message from her. But it always sounded so dark, and the environment always had sort of a dark chill around it when I heard it. This happened several times.

Then suddenly, my phone rang. It was Misaki. And it was her old number, working as it always had up until she disappeared. Yet, she sounded different, distant even. Nevertheless, she asked to meet with me, and I met her at a Starbucks. When I saw her, my heart jumped, but yet she seemed far less carefree than before.

After I came back with our drinks, she stared directly at the table for about 15 minutes, refusing to give me eye contact. Finally, she looked up at me with a pained expression and apologized.

She explained that she was taken somewhere outside of Kyoto, and stayed at a shrine. Apparently, as she explained, her family came from a line of Shinto priests. There, she was forced to learn various rituals of contacting spirits. She was forced to do things she never wanted to learn. Hell, she explained, she had actually hid from her family, and was working at the cafe I met her at. However, they found her and brought her to this shrine.

She said during the last days there, she was made to contact one spirit that she could definitely say was evil. After she had contacted the spirit, she was sent back to Kyoto overnight.

"But," she said, with tears in her eyes. "I don't want to do what it says."

"What did it say to do?" I asked. She buried her head in her hands, and I had to repeat my question several times. Yet, she would never tell me, and just said, "Help me."

I wanted to do what I could. I knew that her family may look for her, so I brought her home to stay with me. I figured we could find someone to help in the morning.

That night, she advanced on me, and for the first time, we made love. Yes, I know how dirty is of me to have had sex with a teenager, but it happened.

I woke up the next morning to her standing over me with a kitchen knife, straight-faced. I had to jump out of bed to avoid being stabbed. She chased me through my apartment. At one point, she lunged at me as I was going through a door. I jumped to avoid being grabbed by her, and she banged her head on the doorway, rendering her unconscious. I panicked, and stuffed her into my closet, locking the door. I reached for my phone to call the police.

That's when I woke up in a cold sweat, scared shitless. I figured it was a horrible nightmare, and went about my daily routine. That's when I heard knocking.

I thought it was my apartment door, but no one was there. That's when I realized it was coming from my bedroom.

From my closet.

From Misaki. She's fucking real.

She alternates between this sweet tone she usually exhibits to crying, screaming, and growling. During the lucid moments, she promises she won't hurt me. During the other times, she makes no promises whatsoever.
I'm scared to death. I'm scared to even call the police, because now, I have a Japanese schoolgirl in my closet, and I'm sure, no matter what behavioral patterns she's exhibiting, it's not going to go too well for a foreigner to have one stuffed in their closet.

I have no idea what to do guys. Help me.

I'll post up part 2 later.
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs
"I love you, you love me. Barney raped me by the sea." --Synonym
"Why do I feel like I'm being fooled by you both?  I can't find the penis.  I need to find the penis." --Augustus
"Nobody can read baby." --Pimp Willy
"Get your goddamn Battle Arena Toshinden shit out of my Tekken." --Souther
"That's when I decided to give up on my dream to become an X-Man and begin pursuing girls." --tortugagrande, champion of all our hearts.

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
Re: The Misaki Chronicles (A repost from /r/nosleep, written by me)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 12:09:01 am »
I wound up getting to sleep a little bit later than I normally would (around 2 AM in Japan), but it was really fucking hard to sleep last night. I suppose a lot of could be attributed to Misaki screaming in the closet, but even when she calmed down, it was hard to sleep. There was this tangible tension in the apartment even when she was quiet.

After checking back in here, I wound up taking a sleeping pill I had brought to Japan with me to help me get back on track and recovered from jetlag quicker, as I really had no other recourse other than that at that point, but I was exhausted and on edge. I needed sleep.

I don't remember dreaming at all last night. Maybe it was the chemically-induced slumber I was in. I usually dream a lot. But this night, I just remember falling asleep. I don't even remember hearing her screaming, I'm guessing that Ambien drowned that out.

The one thing I remember from my sleep was hearing "I'LL COME BACK!" It was an even darker tone than the times I would hear it in Misaki's absence in the dream the night before, on top of it being screamed. It was enough to jerk me back into consciousness.

It jerked me back into consciousness just in time to see Misaki grab for my hair, her other hand gripping the knife once again. She had learned from last time, and stood on the bed, straddling both my sides around my hips, thus making an escape from the bed even harder.

She began pulling me up by my hair. I looked at her. I'm sure I looked like a frightened dog. I'm not one to fold up very easily, but this girl was scaring me to death. Her hair, usually very well-kempt and shiny, was now matted, flat, and smelled of sweat, no doubt from being stuck in a confined space. Her face was caked in sweat and crusted over foundation and eyeliner that had clumped from her profuse sweating. I almost felt like I owed it to her to let her off me, given the state I kept her in overnight.

But then I saw her eyes. I'll never be able to unsee those eyes. These eyes, they weren't Misaki's. The cheery eyes I once saw in my dreams were glazed over, and wide-eyed. She stared at me, but it was like she wasn't even looking at me. Like she was staring beyond me, beyond my outer shell and into my very essence. And it shook me mentally like I've never been shook before.

But the one thing that really freaked me out, was, I swear on my life, I saw her eyes for a split second turn completely pitch black. That's when I knew, this isn't Misaki. This couldn't be her, could it?

I had to do something. I finally broke my eyes away from hers, and starting trying to figure out how I was going to survive this. I had to. Her legs stood straight, albeit wide. Enough to support her weight, but not if there was a sudden shock.

I grabbed at her hand with both of mine, and pushed her away, while jerking my head backward. I felt hair rip out of my head as my head sailed back onto the headboard, causing my head to ring and my vision to blur. I almost forgot to look to see if I had done anything.

Sure enough, I saw her left side reeling back a bit, just enough to send her left leg back below my hips. That was enough and opportunity for me, and I turned to my right and delivered a kick to her ankle, enough to topple her over onto her ass, onto my legs, the shock of which caused the knife to slide out of her right hand, drop to the floor and bounce a foot away from the bed.

We stared at each other for what felt like an eternity. I was waiting to see what she would do next, so that I could react accordingly and give myself a better chance of getting out of this bedroom. Just like I hoped, she darted off the bed for the knife, and I followed suit, bumping into her and brushing her aside before she could grab the knife, and made my way out of the bedroom. I turned to look, and found her with knife, heading toward the door as well.

Without thinking, I used the only weapon within arms' reach. I flung the door shut as she lunged for the opening. From behind the door, I heard a series of thuds followed by the clanging of the knife against the floor.

This time, I had to look. I opened the door back up to find Misaki unconscious, lying in the floor, the knife just beside her waist. I stood over her in a daze. What the hell should I be doing with her?

First thing I did was call the police. At this point, I didn't care if they arrested me or had me deported. At this point, jail or a flight back to America would've been a reprieve from this nightmare. I tried to explain this situation as best I could, my Japanese wasn't the best, but passable enough to explain that there was a girl unconscious in the floor who had tried to stab me. They said they'd be there soon.

In the meantime, I finally surveyed the room. I found the bookcase still pressed up against the door where I left it when I went to bed. I'm still perplexed when I state the fact that the bookcase was still there. I had to move it and open the closet just to make sure that I wasn't going completely insane and there wasn't another girl locked in my closet.

Aside from my clothes on hangers and few shirts on the ground that Misaki apparently used as makeshift bedding, or had ripped off the hangers in her frenetic rage, it was empty. There was not a soul there.

I shut the door and slumped to the floor. How the hell did she get out of there? That bookcase wasn't light. I mean, it wasn't so heavy that I strained with all my might to move it, but it had enough heft that she would've had to put a lot of force into moving it from behind the door. Moreover, and the most telling was the fact that the door was still locked.

I stared at Misaki on the ground a few feet away from me. She wasn't moving. I was so dazed that I couldn't even tell if she was breathing. I almost thought about going to check if she had a pulse, but I was too scared to touch her. I had seen too many slasher films growing up, and despite me knowing the trope all too well to believe in it, I did not want to give it any chance of happening to me. Nor did I want to move the knife this time. I wanted the police to show up and see the end of this ordeal as it stood. If I moved anything other than the door, it destroyed the feasibility of my story.

The knock on my door jolted me back to reality. I rushed into the living room and flung open the door to find two uniformed officers standing in the doorway. They began to ask me a few questions, even asking me for identification before they would even set foot in my apartment. I fumbled to find my passport, and handed it off to them. They inspected the information page, then stared at me, then double checked my visa to make sure I was a legal resident, then stared at me again. Finally, they walked in, and I led them to the bedroom.

There, we found Misaki. She was sitting up, her eyes back to normal, and acting completely lucid. Yeah, she still had her disheveled look, but otherwise, you wouldn't have noticed anything off with her. The police began asking her questions. She talked rather fast, and I didn't understand everything that was said, being that it was all in Japanese. I did hear her say something along the lines of, "We were playing a game," and "I tripped into the door on accident."

It was around this time my eyes started darting around the room. I could feel a buzzing in my brain. She was lying through her teeth, and they were eating it up. I scanned the floor for the knife. It was gone?!

The fucking knife was gone. My one single alibi that would prove that I wasn't lying was gone. Had she hidden it? If so, where? I wanted to tear this fucking room apart to find it. With two officers next to me, I figured that was a bad idea, afraid that any erratic behavior displayed by me would sway them completely to Misaki's side of the story.

However, no matter what, I was facing a losing battle. They turned to leave, and directed me to follow them to the door. When we got there, they told me in no uncertain terms not to call them on this matter again. They then exited.

I sighed at the door, leaning on it. It may have been about 10 seconds later that I heard a blood curdling scream from the bedroom. I ran in there and found Misaki kneeling in the floor.

She was holding the knife, stained red. I scanned her to find cut marks on her forearm, bleeding. I stood there frozen. What the hell was going on? Who did she want to kill--me, or herself?

I ran to grab something to wipe off the blood. When I came back, she was curled up, rocking in place, sobbing hysterically and uncontrollably, letting the blood stain her legs and skirt.

"Help me," she strained out amid sobs. I looked dead into her eyes and noticed only sincerity. I had no clue why she cut herself, but it certainly seemed to me that she may not have been within her right mind at the time.

I cleaned her wounds and bandaged them up as best as I could, then decided to feed her. She hadn't eaten in 24 hours, and I was getting hungry myself. I only had pre-packaged Udon noodles in the my cabinet, and I didn't think I could risk leaving the apartment to pick up food at this point. Upon sitting down to eat, I started to press for information.

"Misaki, what is happening?" I asked.

"I think maybe it is because of my time at the shrine," she said, her voice trailing off.

"You need to tell me what happened exactly," I pushed.

"I told you already what I know," she said.

"Think some more. You told me you summoned a spirit, then you were back here in Kyoto. What happened exactly when you did this?"

"I don't know," she said, crossing her arms. She was clamming up. I wasn't getting the full story and I knew it.

"Yes you do. You told me the other day you didn't want to do what it wants. What does it want you to do?"

"I...Maybe it wants me to kill you."

I knew that had to be the case, that was obvious, but it still hit like a ton of bricks to hear it from Misaki herself. "Why?"

"I don't know! I'm telling the truth!"

"If it wants you to kill me," I said, fumbling nervously with my chopsticks. "Then why did you cut your arms earlier?"

"I didn't," she said.

"Then who did?"

"It."

"It...the spirit?"

She simply nodded.

"Why?"

"I don't know..." she looked down at the table. I could see tears forming in her eyes. "Please help me. I'm so very scared."

I thought back to last night.

"I can't handle this, Misaki. I have to get you some help. You have to go with me to a shrine."

I could already see the protest in her eyes.

"I don't want."

"I am not a priest. I can't help you with whatever is going on. But dammit, I have to get you some help. But you have to help me. It can't be a shrine that deals with your family."

She just stared at me blankly.

"You have to help me find one that's not related to them. Ok?"

"O...k..." she said. "We go tomorrow."

"But what about tonight?"

"Tonight?"

"How can I trust you not to try to kill me tonight?"

She stared off into space. She obviously couldn't answer that question truthfully either way.

"Can I trust you not to try to kill yourself tonight?"

Again, dead silence.

Guys, I'm in a quandary now. Right now, she's lucid, sitting in the bedroom. I have no idea what to do now. I can't leave her alone, I'm afraid that she'll continue slicing herself. I'm scared to be here with her overnight. The last two times I've woken up, I've found her ready to kill me. I don't know what options I have to keep the both of us safe.
  • Like    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs
"Why do I feel like I'm being fooled by you both?  I can't find the penis.  I need to find the penis." --Augustus
"That's when I decided to give up on my dream to become an X-Man and begin pursuing girls." --tortugagrande, champion of all our hearts.

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 12:22:34 am »
After eating, it became very clear that there was no way either of us were safe in the confines of this apartment. Misaki was a danger to herself as well as me. If I threw her out and she was on her own, then I also could not guarantee her safety. I had to come up with something.

I looked at her. Blood stained her school uniform. She smelled awful from all the sweat. We had to go to the shrine the next day, and her being seen like this in public would certainly raise some red flags that I don't think would've made matters any better. So I had to come up with a plan to rectify every problem that we had at this point.

Letting her go wash her face in the bathroom, I grabbed a long coat and a baseball cap out of my closet, and had her put them on when she got out. The coat was just long enough to cover up the bloodstains on her skirt, and the hat allowed her to conceal the trainwreck that was her hair.

From there, we left the apartment, and headed to a clothing store. We had to pull together an outfit for her, so that she could actually be seen in public without people wondering who was stabbed. I gave her 20,000 Yen to pick something out, and while she was browsing, I went next door to a Ministop. I had to find something that would alert me to her whereabouts overnight. Anything that made noise. Aside from using Ambien, I wasn't known as a heavy sleeper, so if there was anything that make noise when things moved in there...

A bell. I found a Christmas-style bell for a few hundred Yen, and bought two. After that, I went back to the clothing shop to find Misaki waiting outside with a bag. We progressed forward from there on foot, until I could find a motel.

Once I found one, I requested to separate rooms. The front desk looked at me strange when I made the request, as if there was no plausible reason why a man with a young girl could possibly want two separate rooms. Maybe he was right. Quite possibly, he thought I was gay. Honestly, I didn't care what he thought at that point. I just knew what I needed, and specifically asked that they be across the hall from each other. Again, an odd glance followed by compliance. We found our rooms on the third floor, and settled in.

As we got into her room, I was trying to explain what was going on to Misaki. She already knew. "You can't trust me. You should be close but not close. Right?"

"Yes..." I said, shaking my head. I warned her not to leave the room under any circumstances. I reinforced the idea that if something bad were to happen, to ring the front desk and have them call me. She nodded.

Something didn't sit right with me, and dammit if I didn't forget something on the way out of the apartment; I forgot to check for that infernal knife that seemed destined to end a life, to make sure it was left behind. I approached her; there was only one way to do this now. I picked the bag up from the bed and searched it. The only things I found was a cardigan sweater, a skirt, some underwear and pantyhose. Nothing out of the ordinary there. I pulled up the sleeves on her school uniform, and only found her bandaged cut marks hiding there. I searched between her vest and sweatshirt, pulled up the waist of her shirt, pulled up her skirt, checked inside her socks...nothing.

Knowing she was clean, I retreated to the door. She followed me there, and as I opened the door to leave, she spun me around and tried to kiss me on the lips. I twisted my head so that she got my cheek, and made my departure. I just couldn't bear to kiss her like that. Not after seeing her hovering over me with a knife. That kind of ruins the moment.
Upon exiting her door, I tied one of the bells around her doorknob. That way, if she left her room, there was a high likelihood that I would hear it. I went back down to the front desk, and asked them for an extra copy of her key, just in case something bad happened and I needed to get inside. With that in my possession, I headed back for my room, double checking that the bell was still on Misaki's door. Once I got into my room, I put the remaining bell on the inside doorknob of my door, thus, if anyone came in my room, I would definitely know about it.

I got changed and slipped into bed. Knowing that I was most likely safe, I felt a little at ease sleeping. Not hearing the muffled screaming from the night before certainly helped ease my mind.

I don't remember the exact moment I fell asleep. I do remember the exact moment I woke up. It was 8:00 AM. I was pulled out of slumber, again, by that voice. This time it said, "I told you I'll come back." I opened my eyes to see Misaki. This time, she was not standing over me with a knife. This time she was not in a murderous rage.

This time she was sleeping, spooning with me. Peaceful. I pulled the blanket off to get up, revealing blood. Blood was all over the blankets and the maTtress. I looked, she again had cut marks. I shot a glance at the door; the bell was still on the door. Did it not sound when she came in? How did I not hear it if it did?

I rushed into the bathroom to grab a towel to wipe the blood off her arms. I reached forward and saw even more crimson on my own arm. I diverted my gaze from the towel and went for the sink, wiping the blood off myself first.

It stung. Why would it sting? I wiped the blood off my arm to reveal cut marks on myself. Not only was she cutting herself, but me as well. Why I wasn't dead is beyond me.

"Misaki!" I wailed from the bathroom. She got up from the bed and walked in, my open wounds still gushing out blood.
She collapsed on the floor, wailing something in Japanese, almost indiscernable due to her tone.

It took us a little bit to gain our bearings. I was frightened, she seemed that way as well.

"How did you get in here?" I asked her.

"I don't know," she responded.

I stared at her. I thought it was complete and total bullshit. Her face had an iron resolve I hadn't seen before.

"I really don't know!" she cried out.

I leaned against the toilet. We both eventually collected ourselves, taking turns washing and getting dressed, making sure our sleeves covered our cuts. As she was getting dressed, I scanned the room for whatever was used to cut us. I found nothing until I looked in the trash can. There I found that God damned knife. Somehow it found its way here, and it was shining brightly in crimson red, as if it were proud of its conquest.

We walked out of my room. As we left, I took one last glance at her door to find that the bell was still there. We dumped our keys onto the desk without even stopping our momentum toward the door. We didn't want or need any questions from any of the staff if they wanted to check our room before we left.

From there we boarded the train, and went in search of a shrine. Once we found one, I looked at Misaki. She stared blankly at the entrance.

"Can you tell if this place has a connection with your family?" I asked her.

She stared at it for a while. "I think maybe it doesn't have," she finally responded.

We went in search of the priest. Once we finally found him, he turned to look at us, then quickly turned away. "The offering box is over there," he stated with his back turned.

I looked at Misaki and said, "Please translate for me." She nodded. Then I spoke to the priest, "We're in trouble."

"I know already," he said back, translated through Misaki. "But you need to leave now."

"Please," I pleaded. "We have nowhere else to go, and one or both of us may be dead soon if we don't get any help. The police think we're crazy."

He turned back around. "It's a spirit isn't it?" he asked rhetorically. "I don't want to get involved with this kind of spirit."

I didn't even have to say it, but Misaki continued to plead for help. Silently, the priest motioned for us to come inside. As we made our way deeper into the shrine, he turned to me and put his hands out, motioning for me to stay where I was. From there, he led Misaki further in. I sat and waited for what seemed like an eternity. I had a lot of time to think. About myself, about Misaki, about what the hell was going on. I didn't know what was going on, to be honest. I went from what I was sure was a dream into this. Was this the dream? Was that the dream? I couldn't tell anymore what was real and what wasn't.

And Misaki, if the whole of that dream was real, then what was I supposed to do about her? She had made my time joyous, and now she was bringing hell to me. No, not her. Those eyes yesterday, this couldn't be her, right? I had to get her help, and hopefully I had.

Finally the priest returned, with another girl. Where was Misaki?

"I can speak English, so I'll translate for my father," the girl explained. "She is sleeping now."

The old man spoke. "I did a harae, a purification for her. She's resting from it. I don't know how much help it can provide, but it's enough to loosen."

"Loosen what?" I asked.

"The spirit attached to her. She has become fugeki," I was told.

"What is a fugeki?"

"Someone that a spirit controls. Sadly, for her, this is not a good spirit."

"You're telling me. Why this spirit and what does it want?"

"Apparently, it wants her to kill you." Well, no shit. "If she fails, then it's going to kill her."

"Is that why she's cutting her arms? To kill herself."

"It's not her doing it, it's the spirit. It's doing that as a warning. If she fails, it will kill her."

I started pacing. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "So it's either going to kill me or her? Why? Why us?"

"Because you two are attracted to each other. Love each other. Whoever sent this spirit to her didn't want that. They want you separated."

Who could've done this? Her family? Why? Irrelevant at this point.

"What can we do about it?" I asked.

"We don't know. We're not experienced about this at this shrine. But we'll try to help as we can. We want to keep her here tonight to try to find out more. Is that okay?"

I nodded. If that kept both of us safe, I couldn't refuse.

"What about this?" I said, showing them the cuts on my arm. "She...this spirit...did this to me overnight. I never heard her come in and we were in separate rooms with locks in between us. How did she get in without my knowing, and why this? Why not just kill me when it had the chance?"

"I'm not sure. Spirits can work in strange ways. Maybe it can move her body without her body existing at a time. As for your cuts, maybe it is just teasing you. It wants you to know that it really will kill you."

"Can we do anything at all?" I asked, almost desperately.

"We're not sure. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to leave Japan."

I thought about that for a moment. "But if you're saying this spirit can move her anywhere without her being aware or even following the laws of physics, what good is it for me to leave the country? No matter where I go, I'm a target."

"I suppose you're right." Almost synchronized, the pair lowered their heads. "Just...ganbatte." And with that, they headed deeper into the shrine again.

I just got home. I'm still trying to absorb all of this, but this is really fucking with my mind. What the hell has happened? How can this be happening?

I have to find out more. There's still some pieces of this puzzle left missing. I just don't know where to start.

That's all of it, I'm thinking of reviving it, I saw some comments on the reddit that would've made me continue, but they didn't respond immediately when I posted, so I gave up because I hit, again, writer's block.
  • Like x 1    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Cobalt

• Toastyoncé
  • Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
  • "I want to break his jaw with my asshole."
  • Rated: +337
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 12:28:46 am »
HOly fuck.

jasonC

• Mafia Endgame
  • Sourdough Toast
  • Rated: +731
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 04:45:49 am »
I'd keep reading if you kept writing.
  • Like    Dislike    Agree x 1    Disagree    WTF    Insightful x 1    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 3 Post Total)

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:05:18 am »
I'd keep reading if you kept writing.

Thanks man, I'm pretty happy to hear someone liked it.

There were a lot of questions about this story on /r/nosleep, so I'm wondering if I should cross-post it there.

The problem is, how to explain a several month lapse in updates there, because I have to stay in character.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:06:52 am by Missing Person »

RadicalFuzz

• Piece of cake
  • Mafia Endgame
  • White Toast
  • Rated: +372
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 01:06:31 pm »
How does any writer explain a large amount of time with nothing happening? Amnesia. Turn the tables, also, let the guy be the one possessed. Allows you to write from the other perspective, and would be pretty fun to respond or write "as the spirit". Doesn't even have to be the same spirit, if you're crafty.

BeigeSand

• Rye Toast
  • Rated: +145
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 01:50:19 pm »
Looks Great.

Critique in spoiler. (I'm kind of blunt and straight-forward, take these with a grain of salt).

Spoiler for Hiden:
The first part was a mildly awkward dream-thing in which the only reason I didn't immediately stop at the 15 year old kissing you was because I was suspending the "this is a dream" mentality. Then, you actually started trying to explain shit, which in surprising unison with most sci-fi's, is where it goes a little south. It felt like you were trying to keep this in a pseudo-realism type thing, yet it still got wildly ridiculous. Also, it feels like some parts you just weren't excited about writing (the shrine part, the lead up to the cafe?), and they come off as slightly more half-assed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For actual critique on the grammar/writing, and not my personal opinion on the subject, you use a shit-ton of complex sentences, and the format tends to get a little repetitive. Every now and again you use one or two simple sentences for emphasis, which is good, but that's not their only use. Simple sentences can lead to solid paragraphs, even if they're not used as gimmicky add-ons.

The machine-gun of two sentence paragraphs is fine, but it makes the dividing lines for scenes much blurrier, and the flow of your story suffers. Either divide up scene transitions with an extra new line or do a little ------ thing, doing this also helps YOU identity how you pace things.

"I" and "I'm" are the greatest offender of any written work, and lead to the boring sentence structure, try and find ways to write that avoid using them so much.

I know these are sort of one-off things you do when inspiration strikes (and that you post them to the internet), so this section may come off as irrelevant to the format, but people who write full-length novels can fall to the same pitfalls, and avoiding those pitfalls does nothing but add to the work.
  • Like x 2    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 2 Post Total)

Missing Person

• Fuck yo' ST, nigga!
  • Spam Defender
  • Jesus Toast
  • Yatta!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:51:58 pm »
Thanks Beige, actually I'm going to PM you.

Critique helps a lot.
  • Like x 1    Dislike    Agree    Disagree    WTF    Insightful    LOL    Toasty    salty    Toogs (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

BeigeSand

• Rye Toast
  • Rated: +145
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 11:40:36 pm »
Thanks Beige, actually I'm going to PM you.

Critique helps a lot.

Go for it.

drwill439

• Rye Toast
  • High tops are still cool, right?
  • Rated: +83
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 05:49:15 am »
I enjoyed this.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Not sure what goes here.